A summary of the Peatland Code (Feb 2014)
Advances in upland carbon financing (Dec 2012)
Working successfully across disciplines (Oct 2012)
- Holden J. (2008) Hydrology and carbon cycling in upland organic soils. Natural England Heathland conference, York, September 2008
- Holden, J., Reed, M., Hubacek, K.,Fraser, E., Prell, C., Bonn, A., Burt, T.P., Chapman, D., Chapman, P.J., Cornell, S., Dougill, A.J., Jin, N., Irvine, B., Kirkby, M.J., Kunin, W., Quinn, C., Termansen, M., Worrall, F., Beharry, N. (2008) Sustainable uplands for sustainable lowlands. Connecting urban and rural greenspace, Joint RGS-PLACE conference, Leeds, April 2008.
- Armstrong, A., Holden, J., Kay, P. Chapman, P.J. Clements, S., Foulger, M., McDonald, A.T., and Walker, A. (2007) Impacts of drain-blocking on water colour flux and water table depth. Symposium on carbon in peatlands, Wageningen, Netherlands, April
- Chapman, D.S. (2007) Red grouse and climate change. Moors For the Future Conference, Castleton, November 2007
- Dougill, A.J., Termansen, M., Stringer, L.C., Quinn, C.H., Prell, C., Reed, M.S., Hubacek, K., Holden, J., Fraser, E.D.G. and Bonn, A. (2007). Learning to transcend disciplines, scales and stakeholder groups: reflections on interdisciplinary research processes. Royal Geographical Society Annual Conference, London, August 2007 – RELU-sponsored session on ‘Geography & Trans-disciplinarity’
- Dougill, A.J. (2007) Conceptual Modelling and Participatory Approaches: Interdisciplinary lessons from the UK Uplands. Invited presentation at ZEF Interdisciplinary PhD Training Programme, University of Bonn / United Nations University.
- Fraser, E.D.G. (2007). Vulnerability of Rural Economies and Land Use Systems to Climate Change. Workshop on Climate Change and Wellbeing. University of Sheffield. November 25th
- Fraser, E.D. G. (2007). “Quantifying adaptation to extreme environmental events.” French Academy of Sciences Colloquium on Adapting to Extreme Weather Events. 2-5th July, Paris, France.
- Fraser, E.D. G. (2007). “Identifying Indicators of Adaptive Capacity in Different Land Use Systems.” Invited Research Presentation to the International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis, 17th September, Vienna, Austria.
- Fraser, E.D. G. (2007). “Globalization and Land Use Change: Are there common trends, are there common implications? Global Land Project, University of Copenhagen, 25th October, Copenhagen, Denmark.
- Holden, J. (2007) Peatlands and environmental change. Moors for the Future conference, Castleton, November
- Holden, J. (2007) The limits to restoration. Paper presented to the International perspectives on peatland degradation and restoration: from science to practice, Manchester, June
- Holden, J. (2007) Peatlands and secret carbon flux. Symposium on carbon in peatlands, Wageningen, Netherlands, April
- Hubacek K., Prell, C, Reed, M., Quinn, C., Jin, N., Holden, J., Burt, T.P., Kirkby, M., Sendzimir, J. (2007). If you have a hammer everything looks like a nail: ‘traditional’ versus participator. CAIWA 2007 International Conference on Adaptive, Integrated Water Management, Basel, Switzerland, 12 – 15 November 2007
- Hubacek, K., Quinn, C.H., Prell, C., Reed, M.S., Dougill, A.J., Fraser, E.D.G., Holden, J., Stagl, S. & Stringer, L. (2007) Stakeholder selection as a precondition for successful participatory processes. 7th International conference of the European Society for Ecological Economics: integrating natural and social sciences for sustainability, 5-8 June, Centre for Environmental Research –UFZ, Leipzig, Germany. Invited speaker
- Quinn C, Hubacek K, Reed M (2007) “Stakeholder Participation in the Strategic Management of Upland Landscapes”. RELU/LARCI/Northern Rural Network Conference on “Research on Rural Resource Management and the Rural Economy: Addressing the Local Dimension”, 16th May
- Quinn CH, Hubacek K, Reed MS (2007) Stakeholder Participation in the Strategic Management of Upland Landscapes. Annual RELU conference, Edinburgh, 14-16 May
- Reed MS (2007) Knowledge Exchange in the Sustainable Uplands Project, Presentation to NERC KT team, University of Leeds, September
- Worrall F (2007) Carbon fluxes from uplands – is peat the new black gold? Moors For the Future Conference, Castleton, November 2007
- Hubacek K, Prell C, Quinn CH, Reed MS (2006) Stakeholder selection as precondition for successful participatory processes, Conference on the Human Dimensions of Global Environmental Change: “Resource Policies: Effectiveness, Efficiency, and Equity”, Berlin 17-18 November
- Hubacek K, Prell C, Reed MS, Burt T, Chapman P, Cornell S, Dougill AJ, Fraser EDG, Holden J, Irvine B, Jin N, Kirkby M, Kunin W, Quinn CH, Ritsema C, Jetten V, Sendzimir J, Stagl ST, Stringer LC, Taylor MJ, Termansen M, Turner A, Worrall F (2006) Combining formalised and non-formalised methods to stimulate social learning in resource management. Formalised and Non-Formalised Methods in Resource Management: Knowledge and Learning in Participatory Processes, Workshop, 21-22 September, Osnabrück
- Reed MS, Prell C & Hubacek K (2006) Communication and Representation in Water Resource Management: Using Social Network Analysis and Stakeholder Analysis to Support Social Learning, ESRC/NERC Transdisciplinary Seminar, Water Environment and Society Series, University of Sheffield, 11th July
- Reed MS, Dougill AJ, Fraser EDG, Burt T, Chapman PJ, Cornell S, Holden J, Hubacek K, Irvine B, Jin N, Kirkby M, Kunin B, Prell C, Quinn CH, Ritsema C, Jetten V, Sendzimir J, Stagl ST, Stringer LC, Taylor M, Termansen M, Turner A, Worrall F (2006) An adaptive learning process for developing and applying sustainability indicators with local communities. Participatory Approaches in Science & Technology (PATH) Conference, 4th-7th June 2006, Edinburgh, Scotland.
- Reed MS & Dougill AJ (2006) Integrating and sharing local and scientific knowledge bases to assess land degradation. Future of Drylands Conference, International Scientific Conference on Desertification and Drylands Research Commemorating 50 Years of Drylands Research, Tunis, Tunisia 19-21 June
- Holden, J., T.P. Burt, P.J. Chapman, A. Dougill, K. Hubacek, B. Irvine, N. Jin, M. Kirkby, M. Reed, A. Turner, F. Worrall (2006) Managing soils in sustainable uplands. Presented at the British Soil Science Society Annual Conference, Leeds, September 2006.
- Hubacek K, Prell C, Reed M, Quinn CH (2006) Using Stakeholder and Social Network Analysis to support participatory processes. Sustainable Uplands: Future Scenarios for People, Environment, and Landscape: A Future Vision Conference and workshop for the Uplands, 30 May – 1 June, Kendall, Cumbria
- Hubacek K, Prell C, Reed MS (2006) Stakeholder identities and stakeholder mappings in futures research. Rural Citizen conference, Plymouth, April
- Worrall F, T P Burt J K Adamson (2006). Towards a complete DOC budget for peat-covered catchments – accounting for upscaling and in-stream processes. American Geophysical Union, Fall Meeting, San Francisco, December.
- Worrall F and Burt T P (2006) The Flux of Dissolved Organic Carbon from UK Rivers. American Geophysical Union, Fall Meeting, San Francisco, December
- Evans MG, Allott T, Holden J, Flitcroft C, Bonn A (2005) Understanding gully blocking in deep peat. Moors for the Future National Conference, Castleton, September
- Hubacek K, Reed M (2006) Learning to manage future change in UK uplands. RELU Project Launch, Losehill Hall, Castleton, February
- Hubacek K et al. (2006) Stakeholder identities and stakeholder mappings in futures research. Invited Paper for the Rural Futures Conference in Portsmouth, April, 2006.
- Hubacek K, Fraser EDG, Dougill AJ, Prell C, Reed MS (2006) Invited Paper for RELU conference, Manchester, January 2006
- Hubacek K, Fraser EDG, Dougill AJ, Prell C, Reed MS (2006) Invited Poster for RELU conference, Manchester, January 2006
- Hubacek K, Dougill AJ, Burt T, Chapman P, Fraser EDG, Holden J, Kirkby MT, Prell C, Reed MS, Sendzimir J, Shotbolt L, Stagl S, Stringer L, Turner AGD, Worrall F (2005) Doing Adaptive Learning Rural Research: Lessons from the Peak District National Park, Bioscience 2005 – Biodiversity Conservation and Sustainable Development in the Mountain Areas of Europe: the challenge of interdisciplinary research, Greece, September
- Dougill AJ, Reed MS, Hubacek K, Burt T, Chapman PJ, Fraser EDG, Holden J, Kirkby MK, Prell C, Sendzimir J, Shotbolt L, Stagl ST, Stringer LC, Turner AGD, Worrall F (2005) Managing Uncertainty in Dynamic Socio-Environmental Systems: an application to UK uplands, Rural Economy and Land Use Programme: Scoping the Research Agenda, Kings Rooms, York, May
- Hubacek K, Reed MS, Dougill AJ, Burt T, Chapman PJ, Fraser EDG, Holden J, Kirkby MK, Prell C, Sendzimir J, Shotbolt L, Stagl ST, Stringer LC, Turner AGD, Worrall F (2005) Sustainable Upland Management for Multiple Benefits, Rural Economy and Land Use Programme: The Challenge for Research, 19-21 January
- Reed MS & Hubacek K (2005) Sustainable Upland Management for Multiple Benefits, UKPopNet Large-scale Upland Manipulation Feasibility Workshop, Stockolm Environment Centre, University of York, March
- Prell C, Stringer LC & Reed MS (2005) Adapting to future change in the Peak District, Moors for the Future National Conference, Castleton, September
- Reed MS, Prell C & Hubacek K (2004) Managing Uncertainty in Dynamic Socio-Environmental Systems: an application to upland management, Moors for the Future National Conference, Castleton, October
In the Media
- After the release of the Sustainable Uplands Policy and Practice Note: Re-shaping land use policy for our hills in January 2010, the project received press coverage from the Scotsman, the Yorkshire Post, Press and Journal, Bioscience Technology and Knowledge Scotland.
- Joseph Holden wrote an opinion piece for the Yorkshire Post (March 2010).
- Mark Reed wrote an opinion piece for Press and Journal (which serves Northeast Scotland).
- Joseph Holden was interviewed on Radio Teesdale (aired 1st April 2010) discussing the project and upcoming workshops.
- Mark Reed was interviewed on Radio 4′s ‘Farming Today: You and Yours’, discussing grouse shooting in Upland Communities.
- Mark Reed had a local news interview with Radio Derby, Autumn 2004.
- Press Release, Autumn 2004.
- Moorland Perspectives Guided Walks as part of Social Science Week: ESRC Society Today Review.